Preservation of Global Environment
Environmental impact reduction
Overview of Environmental Impact
We prepare data to show aggregate inputs to and outputs from manufacturing operations of the entire Group engaged in at all domestic and overseas sites.
NGK Group Material Balance (Input and Output)
- 1.Environmental performance values in this report have been rounded up for convenience; therefore the sum of individual values may not match the totals.
- 2."Discarded materials" indicates the total amount of industrial waste and valuables.
- 3.CO2 conversion factors (kg-CO2/unit) used in calculating NGK's CO2 emissions on a non-consolidated basis are as follows (units are indicated in parentheses):Purchased electric power (kWh): 0.42, Fuel oil A (liters): 2.677, Diesel fuel (liters): 2.64, Kerosene (liters): 2.49, City gas (Nm3): 2.29, LPG (kg): 3.007, LNG (kg): 2.70, Gasoline (liters): 2.322 Sources: The Federation of Electric Power Companies of Japan (actual figures for fiscal 1990), Ministry of the Environment. Some factors calculated independently by NGK have been used. Incidentally, the fiscal 2016 energy-origin actual CO2 emissions volume for NGK on a non-consolidated basis is 146x103 metric tons when using the CO2 conversion factor provided by the Order for Enforcement of the Act on Promotion of Global Warming Countermeasures (revised in May 2016).
Preventing Global Warming
In fiscal 2016, we steadily progressed with CO2 reduction plans to achieve annual targets.
CO2 emissions/basic unit per net sales (NGK Group)
* Basic unit per net sales calculated with the value in fiscal 2013 set at 100.
CO2 emissions/reducation rate against BAU* (NGK Group)
* Reduction rate against BAU: The percentage rate of emissions reduction resulting from implemented actions against a computed value for the hypothetical absence of the actions.
Controlling CO2 Emissions through Highly Efficient Manufacturing Processes
We are striving to raise manufacturing efficiency at our overseas sites through applying innovative processes and improvements to facilities and operations practiced in Japan.
Reducing CO2 Emissions from the Supply Chain (Logistics)
We work to reduce CO2 emissions from logistics mainly through raising loading efficiency and promoting a modal shift.
Introduction of Green Power
We began introducing green power (based on wind, solar, biomass and other renewable sources) in 2002.
Adoption of Environmentally Friendly Production Processes
We implement measures to reduce environmental impacts stemming from our production operations, such as improving production efficiency, promoting the collection and use of exhaust heat and introducing highly efficient equipment.
Promoting Effective Use of Resources
Reducing Discarded Materials from Manufacturing Activities
In fiscal 2016, we exceeded the annual targets, which resulted from the Manufacturing Division's outperforming efforts to improve the material utilization rate, particularly through in-process reuse of materials, and production yield for each process.
Promoting of Resource Recycling
At the NGK Group, we promote resource recycling initiatives, pursuing rigorous sorting and separating practices and seeking out new methods of recycling.
Water Resources Risk Management and Response
In order to improve the efficiency of water usage, we perform water risk assessments at all manufacturing sites in addition to implementing voluntary water usage guidelines.
For more details,
please refer to