Research & Development
Creating new global standards with an eye on the future and the world.
Research and development at NGK is based on ceramics technology, with materials development and systems technology positioned as major pillars.
In the Triple E domains of energy, ecology, and electronics, NGK experts drawn from a wide range of fields pursue basic and applied research on ceramics and in other areas around the clock to develop new technologies and core products for our future business.
Creating new products
We've introduced various products commercialized through company-wide, cross-departmental initiatives involving the Corporate R&D, Corporate Manufacturing Engineering, Business Groups, and head office departments. These include composite wafers for SAW filters in 2014; microlenses for ultraviolet LEDs and "FGAN" gallium nitride (GaN) wafers in 2018; and the EnerCera series chip-type ceramic secondary batteries in 2019.
Moving forward, we will press on with the development of various new product lines, including the ceramic batteries described below. The company will work as one to bring these products to market as rapidly as possible.
Zinc Rechargeable Batteries
- Ceramic separators made using new materials
- Water-based electrolytic solution (for safety), high capacity, constant temperature operation
Examples of final use
- Residential power storage systems (10 kWh class)
- Indoor-type power storage systems (500 kWh class)Office buildings, hospitals, retail facilities, etc.
Solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) module
- Proprietary structure and ceramic materials
- Compact, high power generation efficiency, high durability
Examples of final use
- Single-family home and condominium use (installed in each unit)
- Fuel-cell systems
Recent commercially launched products
"FGAN" gallium nitride (GaN) wafers
Microlenses for ultraviolet LEDs
The EnerCera series chip-type ceramic secondary batteries
High Voltage Laboratory
Take a quick look at NGK's test facilities, Insulator Museum and NGK Review.
Inquiry about Research & Developments
Please apply with the contact form and give us your comments or questions.